New Staff Onboarding
Welcome to MSU Extension and our Professional Development resources
This website is intended as a one-stop location for new staff (and existing staff) to access important information relative to their employment with MSUE. To begin, please open and/or download our comprehensive guide, full of detailed information and links in six sections:
- Getting started--an HR Quick Reference Guide
- Getting connected with technology
- Learning about your Institute(s) and roles
- Learning about your county/district offices
- Getting to know MSUE
- Professional Development, Now & Later
Also, download our QUICK LINKS sheet of the most-accessed helpful weblinks.
Here are some other things you can do to get started:
- Look at the MSUE organization chart located on the MSU Extension Leadership page.
- Review this list of often-used acronyms to familiarize yourself with Extension-speak.
- Study the history of our mission and heritage. The sesquicentennial anniversary of the Morrill Act, passed in 1862, was in 2012. This Act marked the beginning of the land-grant system, today numbering more than 100 universities serving our nation and the world. Learn more by exploring the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities website. See especially:.
- Morrill Act Background--A page explaining the significance of this Act and the renewed commitment of Public Universities today.
- Land-grant Heritage--gives a short history of the 1862 Act, the Second Morrill Act of 1890, and the Improving America's School Act of 1994 that gave land-grant status to Native American tribal colleges.
- Review our MSUE and Institutes' goals.
- Finding the OD Website. Here's a helpful how-to for finding our website from the MSUE website.