Our mission: To enhance the learning and growth of all employees and support their efforts towards professional excellence. We value continuous learning, self-direction, core competency development, scholarship and career growth.
What we do: We are responsible for face-to-face and online learning opportunities related to keystone events such as New Staff Onboarding and Fall Conference. We also offer workshops and courses on competencies such as facilitative leadership, collaborating in Zoom, conflict resolution, Ask an Expert, and adult learning.
What you can find here: Resources on new staff onboarding, career path development, core competencies, eXtension & online learning, leadership & management, lending library, conflict resolution, mentoring, adult learning, TurningPoint, professional associations, professional development scholarships, and more. Click on the side bar links to access these resources.
Books & Webinars is a searchable online data base of books and recordings related to the commpetencies needed to be an effective Extension professional. Recordings from previous fall Extension conferences and SERV days are being added. The books are housed in room 11 Agriculture Hall and available for checkout either online or in person. The checkout period is one month, with renewals possible. When an online request is submitted, we mail the book within a couple of days, and it can be returned by mail. Listen to this three minute recording on Using the Professional Development Library for more information.
Below are links to lists of key resources from our Professional Development Library on various topics. Every few months or so we compile suggested resources on topics suggested by staff. Click on the titles to access the list with links for checking out the resources.
- Managing Energy, Time & Space for a Healthier & Happier Life, March 2013. A review of books in the MSUE Professional Development Library focused on four key areas: energy, priorities & focus, time use, and space organization. Each section includes "MSU Extension Best Practices" contributed by participants in an online workshop during SERV, March 2013.
- Social Media Mind-Building, July 2012
- For Managers & Supervisors, May 2012
- Recent Acquisitions, January 2012
- Transitioning Through Change
- Virtual Teams & Online Collaboration
- Personal/Professional Life Harmony
- Nonprofit Boards & Leadership
- Books on CD
Professional Development Fund Awards
There are two endowed funds that are available to Extension staff for pursuits of professional development and advanced degrees. More information on eligibility and access to application and submission information is found by clicking on the links in the left column, under Professional Development.